Sunday, February 20, 2011

My first layout this year


I cannot believe that this is my first layout of the year. And the first in months, truth be told.

I've been battling to come up with an idea for this layout, and became so fixated on this one that I couldn't work on any others...

There was not much plan behind this layout. No, that's a lie. I had an idea and put together a spread in my journal with ideas. I didn't stick to any of it. Most likely because once I'd printed the photo's the blue from the kid's uniforms was rather bright... sort of overpowering.
I decided to mat the pictures on natural colours to tone them down, and ended up choosing very toned down natural backing papers.
Having no idea where to really go, I just went with what "came to me". I had the photo's all matted and the papers chosen and nothing else planned. Sat down at a scrap and chat with friends and just allowed things to progress.

I tore the paper and then added some stitches to that (one of my friends from the scrap and chat phoned me today asking if I mind if she uses my idea for one of her kits she's busy with).

The journalling was computer generated. I cut it into strips and matted that and stuck it randomly along the layout. I added the little school boy and pencil (I make the embellishments - which I sell here - from patterns I buy from Treasure Box Designs) to the first page. I then added some yellow rick-rack that I inked with brown ink. While looking for lettering for the title I came across the little "ABC" and thought that would be a cute touch.


I used the 2 circles from the scissors (also a pattern from Treasure Box Designs), and made them look like little buttons. The photo's have all been distressed a little with sandpaper, then inked and matted on textured cardstock.
The final addition to the layout was the title. I played with 2 ideas, but liked the playfulness of these chipboard letters so went with this.
I like the way it turned out. I was worried it was becoming too natural and "old" instead of young like the first day at school should be.

Thanks for stopping by.

x Mel x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave a message